Construction advances on Expo 2020 Dubai site

August 08, 2017

undefinedA new video shows that considerable construction progress has been made at the site of Expo 2020 Dubai as we approach the three-year mark ahead of the mega event.

The video was released following a visit to the site by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

Sheikh Mohammed was given a bird’s eye view of the site during a helicopter tour and afterwards said he was very encouraged by progress made so far, according to Government of Dubai Media Office. 

The outline of the main areas of the site, including the Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability themed districts, is clearly visible from the aerial shots.

Al Futtaim Carillion was awarded a AED2.2bn contract in March to build the three districts and the video shows that much of the foundation work has already been complete.

Significant progress has also been made on the 15km ‘Route 2020’ metro line extension to the Expo site.

Every week 6,100 cubic metres of concrete are being poured on site, the video says.

Sheikh Mohammed was accompanied on the tour by His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai and many other government officials and dignitaries.

His Highness was briefed by department heads and directors on progress made by the Expo team in the areas of Real Estate and Development, International Participants, Legacy, Business Development and Integration, and Youth Connect.

Sheikh Mohammed also said he was pleased to see the progress made by Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) on the construction of the metro extension to the site.

Construction of the line is being carried out by the Expolink consortium of French Alstom, Spanish Acciona and Turkish Gulermack under a AED10.6bn contract awarded in June 2016. Testing is expected to begin by the end of 2019 with the route to become operational five months before the start of Expo 2020.

Officials estimate around 25 million visitors to Expo 2020, including 70% from overseas, during the six-month event which will be the first to be held in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia (MEASA) region and the Arab World.

 

Watch the Video HERE

Picture Credit: Government of Dubai Media Office 

Return to News